Beginning with the 2007-2008 school year, Abilene Education Foundation placed a full-time college advisor at each AISD high school campus to work in conjunction with high school counselors. Generously funded by the Shelton Family Foundation, these advisors assist students who are underserved or who will be the first in their families to attend college. They also help students with financial aid, college applications and college visits.
- With the help of the Dian Graves Owen Foundation, the COOL Program has been able to expand the services offered to AISD by hiring two additional college advisors beginning in the fall of 2012.
More specifically, college advisors will:
- – help students locate and apply for scholarships and financial aid.
– assist students to complete the FAFSA form and the Texas Common Application.
– assist students with essays for college admission and work with English teachers on essay topics.
– meet with parents to share information about colleges and the college admissions process.
– establish and maintain relationships with admissions and financial aid departments of colleges.
– host campus tours of colleges of interest.
– encourage and support students through the college experience.
– offer interactive workshops and classroom presentations to middle school students.
– leadership retreat for 8th graders.